Thread: IPTABLES - most secure startup?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

IPTABLES - most secure startup?

Hello again everyone,

I have been working on making my own firewall with iptables, and I need some advice.. again!

I am trying to come up with a good way to secure the firewall machine while it is booting.
    One of the challenges I am facing is that I have to wait for the public network devices to come up before I can apply some of the rules. This is because it is receiving its address via DHCP, and I need its address before I can write the rules that apply to it.

My setup is simple:
    eth0 (public interface)
    eth1 (private interface)

So far, the best I can come up with is to do the following in the /etc/network/interfaces file.
    The idea is that everything will be set to drop before the interfaces come up, except in and out on eth1 (private), and it will be that way until the full rules are calculated and applied.
    I'm not worried about being locked out of eth0 because I will always be on the eth1 side.

/etc/network/interfaces
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

pre-up iptables-restore < /etc/iptables_startup_rules

-- eth1 config --

allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    post-up /etc/iptables_full_rules.sh
    /etc/iptables_startup_rules looks something like this. (from memory. syntax may not be 100%):
    Code:
    *filter
    :INPUT DROP
    :FORWARD DROP
    :OUTPUT DROP

-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
    -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT

-A INPUT -i eth1 -j ACCEPT
    -A OUTPUT -o eth1 -j ACCEPT
    The /etc/iptables_full_rules script retrieves the IP address from the eth0 interface - after it has come up - and uses it while building some additional rules.

So, does anyone have a better, more secure way I could protect the machine at start up?

Thanks for you time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: IPTABLES - most secure startup?

here is what i get as recently published https://www.google.co.in/search?q=ub...links+iptables

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for your reply, dino99. I appreciate your time.
    However, I think based on the search link you provided, there is a misunderstanding as to the specifics of what I am asking.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for a more effective way to secure a machine while its full set of iptables rules are being created/loaded, other than what I have proposed in the original post?

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thread moved to Server Platforms.

You may get more responses in here but i've also left a redirect on he other subforum.

BTW: Are you currently using these rules ?
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you for the redirect.

BTW: Are you currently using these rules ?
    Yes, but only in a test environment, until I get it all figured out.
    The rules I have shown (in /etc/iptables_startup_rules) are only the initial rules that I apply at pre-up. They only last until all interfaces are up and the new rules are applied.

Beans

I think you're being overly paranoid.

When networking starts, there are no services running so there are no exposed surfaces to exploit.

If you run iptables immediately thereafter, there really are no threats to worry about.

If you want to grab the external IP address after dhclient runs, you can use this:
    Code:
    EXT=$(ifconfig | grep 'inet addr' | head -n 1 | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/addr://g')
    That stores the external address in the enviroment variable EXT. Put that in the script with the iptables rules, so you can reference the external address as $EXT.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you for your advice, SeijiSensei. That is the kind of feedback I was looking for.